SIGSBEE SCOOP
September 12-September 15, 2016 (Week 4)

UPCOMING EVENTS
Tuesday, September 13: PTO Meeting 8:30 AM - all are welcome
It was "red day" for kindergarten!
Friday, September 16:  Constitution Day
     Wear yellow to help K learn their colors.


JENNIFER HOLM 
AUTHOR VISIT
Our upper grade students (4-8) enjoyed a wonderful presentation by author, Jennifer Holm, this week. Ms. Holm talked to the students about the writing process, research she does to prepare for writing each book, and her connections to Key West.  Her entertaining presentation taught us a great deal about the history of our local community.  Ms. Holm was brought to Sigsbee Charter by Books and Books, our local bookstore.  The staff there are great supporters of our school and provided the presentation at no cost to the students.  In turn, our students purchased over $1200 in books written by Jennifer Holm.

A special opportunity was given to one student.  Books and Books allowed students to submit potential introductions of the author and selected one student's submission as the elected public speaker at the assembly.  We were so proud of middle schooler, Caylah Anderson, as her speech truly touched her audience and Ms. Holm specifically.  Below are Caylah's words....

Caylah Anderson's Introduction of Jennifer Holm...
“Almost dying is awfully easy. It is living that is hard.” This is an adage from the phenomenal Jennifer L. Holm. My favorite book from her prodigious collection is A Turtle in Paradise. I favor this magnificent book, because Mrs. Holm communicates the struggle for a girl named Turtle to be socially accepted. This explains trouble that some children may have fitting in. I could connect with this character, because when I was younger, I was picked on. This quote inspired me because it tells you that you have to keep moving forward and I did just that. The character relates to me, because she had to move away from a loved one for awhile. I had to stay with my grandparents, while my father was deployed, and my mother was working. I missed my parents deeply while they were gone. Turtle missed her mother as well in the book. I remembered the quote by Jennifer Holm so I remained happy throughout that period of time. All young readers can empathize with this story. Jennifer Holm taught me not to throw in the towel. That the ending may not be completely happy, but there is always something to look forward to. That is why I enjoy books made by Jennifer Holm. I am overjoyed that Books & Books allowed this school the opportunity to meet the great Jennifer Holm in person.



Back Lot CAR LINE REQUESTS
Our back lot carline staff members are asking for your help to make carline a safe and smooth operation.  Please see below:

1-Please be super-vigilant in making sure your students are completely in the car and the car door is shut before you begin driving off.  There have been several instances where parents were distracted and students were in danger.

2-When your car is loaded, please check your rear-view mirror several times before pulling out.  GENTLY AND SLOWLY pass the cars that are still loading and be ready to stop quickly.  

3- Please refrain from personal conversations with other parents.  This holds up the line and causes traffic issues.

4-Please put your phone away when you're in car line.  



Popular posts from this blog